Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Late Summer Valentine

Is there something more important
about personal feeling than an
accurate description of nature
which privileges depiction over caring
if every single poem defines poetry

outside of its success or failure
why is there still an animal several
blocks away who knows
I’m sitting here can sense
me the abandoned tenement

of his heart and several lakes
I’ve managed in several dark places
I would like to see again
mostly the color green though
you and I could never get enough.

2 comments:

William Keckler said...

This is very beautiful and mulls the elusive animal itself (the poem) in a way that surely pierces it...whether the animal is vulnerable or not.

I don't think we'll ever know whether it is...

maybe some day...

Peter said...

Merci...maybe...